The CIL’s core programming adopts the cross-disability approach and the peer-based model that are central to the Independent Living Philosophy. Our core services include:
- Staff with disabilities help to empower others with disabilities by sharing resources, knowledge of living with a disability, and goal setting.
Information & Referral
- The Center for Independent Living provides information about A wide variety of disability related issues and community resources.
- Self-Advocacy - Speak up for yourself
- Individual Advocacy - Speak up for another
- Systems Change Advocacy - Make a change for others
Independent Living Skills Instruction
- With an ILS Instructor, individuals work to advance the skills necessary to allow them to live more successfully and independently. ILS training is done one-on-one in the home, out in the community or at The CIL’s offices.
Personal Assistance Services Referrals
- Identify available and affordable personal assistants
- Learn to interview, hire, train, supervise, and/or fire personal assistants
- Create an employment agreement that clearly states the job duties of their personal assistant
- Understand the housing options available to them
- Locate and secure affordable housing
- 10 Week Workshop that provides seniors with tools to adapt to new limitations and break down barriers to healthy independent living.